Wormwood essential oil is extracted from a small shrub originally native to Europe and Northern Africa. The wormwood plant has a long history in folk medicine, and is best known as the key ingredient in the intoxicating drink absinthe, long consumed by artists because they believed it stimulated creativity.
Wormwood essential oil contains the fragrant compounds that gave absinthe its particular flavor, and it also contains high amounts of thujone, a powerful psychoactive substance. For this reason, therapeutic use of wormwood essential oil requires particular care, and prolonged use of wormwood essential oil should be avoided.
Properties: Anthelmintic, Digestive, Emmenagogue, Febrifuge, Insecticide, Tonic
Perfumery Note: Top
Aroma: Spicy, Warm, Bitter
Blends with: Jasmine, Lavender, Neroli, Orange, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, Manuka, Myrrh
- True Absinthe or Wormwood is native to Europe. For centuries in Europe, this herb was used to treat a host of diseases and disorders. The oil is very dark green to bluish-green color with an intensely herbaceous green, sharp, and fresh top note.
- Botanical Name: Artemisia Absinthium / Country of Origin: United States
- Plant Part: Flowering Tops / Aroma: Spicy, Warm, Bitter
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distilled / Color/Consistency: Dark Green With Medium Consistency
- 5ml in Amber Glass European Dropper Bottle